Which tyres

ian6pot

Super Moderator
Mar 6, 2013
Barnsley
Tyres just about dead now. Winter motorway has squared them off to the profile of a car tyre.

Whats recommended for a 600 that gets thrown about on the road but not used on the track and will get me through the summer months?
The guy next door has just replace perfectly good Bridgestones (dont know what type) as he always felt he was sliding? (his words)

ian6pot

Super Moderator
Mar 6, 2013
Barnsley
Just got the usual junk email from M&P which i usually discard but they had an offer on tyres.
This weekend only? A pair(front and rear) tyres for £129+PP. They are Continental Conti-Motion.
I have searched and searched and the only issues anyone reports is high ware rate but it seems it dont apply to everybody.
Most people seem to rave about them so i sent for a set. They should see me over the summer at least and you never know they might be fantastic.

GixxerGod

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 18, 2012
Milton Keynes
I got some BT-023's, not tried conti's on the bike, had some on the car and they were VERY sticky, but didn't wear well, I have found that anything that grips really well wears really quickly, it's always a compromise of grip / wear. On my SRAD I used to get Avon's, can't remember the name, but used to pay around £40 for a rear, they lasted around 4k but were grippy as hell, so didn't mind.

ian6pot

Super Moderator
Mar 6, 2013
Barnsley
Thats the thing with these, they are cheap for a pair so if i get through the summer with them then fine but if they last any longer then its a bonus.
These have been described as sticky even though they are supposed to be a sports touring tyre.

ian6pot

Super Moderator
Mar 6, 2013
Barnsley
just an update. The contiMotions seem to be great. You perhaps would not use them to race in BSB LoL but for every day road use they are as sticky as they come.
They give confidence in the wet but that said i do ride accordingly in the rain. now just to see how long they last as usually sticky means quick ware rate so i will see what happens.

TEEREX

May 18, 2013
I have had a pair of Maxxis supermaxx diamond tyre's fitted I've only done 160 miles on them last week, they get warm very fast and with the shoulder design I feel confident in the corners £210 fitted.:)

jim g

Jun 24, 2013
I have had a pair of Maxxis supermaxx diamond tyre's fitted I've only done 160 miles on them last week, they get warm very fast and with the shoulder design I feel confident in the corners £210 fitted.:)

I have these fitted to my k4 - so far so good I have however only just passed my test and not gona too crazy ;)

ian6pot

Super Moderator
Mar 6, 2013
Barnsley
i have had experience of Maxxis tyres and never had an issue, but it only through riding supermoto for a couple of years.
I have not used them on a sports bike but reports suggest they are good enough although there are many keyboard experts who rubbish them as being cheap
and wont be seen dead with a pair on there bike.
I tend to think these people are snobs myself and like people to think they spend a fortune on big names.

just read this back to myself, sounds a bit like a rant:cool:

matt

Aug 11, 2013
I have a set of Dunlop qt's. but they are starting to get weather cracks. I'm looking for a better tire.

funkmaster-fresh

Nov 11, 2015
Ive always run Bridgestone Battleaxe tyres, and never had any issues in wet and dry with traction, and i lean over a fair bit sometimes.

But i've recently decided to replace my pair of Bridgestones, and bought scrubbed Pirelli Supercorsa Diablos, from a company called Trumpet Tyres, based in England somewhere.
The tyres i bought have done less than 10 laps, and have only been through one heat cycle, they look as good as new, bar being scrubbed in.
Cost me £130 for front and rear, and that included the £25 delivery to Northern Ireland.

I dont have them on the bike just yet, as i'm waiting until after xmas.
But the company was very easy to deal with, id definetly reccomend using them.

Even got a packet of Haribo sweets and a few stickers too :)