Tail Swap

cbig1969

Mar 30, 2013
I have a 2001 GSXR 600. It's a good looking bike but I'm not crazy about the tail end. Is it possible for me to swap the rear (seat, fairing, etc.) out for something that more closely resembles the gixxer 2004 and up look?

ian6pot

Super Moderator
Mar 6, 2013
Barnsley
I have a 2001 GSXR 600. It's a good looking bike but I'm not crazy about the tail end. Is it possible for me to swap the rear (seat, fairing, etc.) out for something that more closely resembles the gixxer 2004 and up look?

I moved this thread as its more along the lines of modification.

You can fit K4/K5 tail, there are plenty of pics on the net of bikes that have been done but alas its not a nut and bolt job. There is cutting and welding to do and it alloy.
There seems to be two schools of thought on this,modify your subframe to fit the later tail "shell" or modify the later subframe to fit your frame.
i believe the second option is the easiest but you still need to cut and weld.

ian6pot

Super Moderator
Mar 6, 2013
Barnsley
Its the subframe that needs welding and it not a problem but needs to be done correctly. Because its alloy it needs to be TIG welded
by someone who knows what there doing.

StuntFighters

Anything can be made to fit, easiest option is to get the complete subframe and panels that you want to fit and find an engineering company to make the brackets. You can either get them made so you can bolt them to the original mount point or get them welded on.

Wilcoes1984

Mar 3, 2017
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
I totally changed the rear end on mine, thought it looked a little fat, so i cut and welded subframe and cut the fairing in half and took about 70mm out of it and shortened it too by about 150mm, put it all back together... im at the stage now where it needs filling, sanding and painting.... :cool:

cbig1969

Mar 30, 2013
I totally changed the rear end on mine, thought it looked a little fat, so i cut and welded subframe and cut the fairing in half and took about 70mm out of it and shortened it too by about 150mm, put it all back together... im at the stage now where it needs filling, sanding and painting.... :cool:
Any pictures?

Tinus

Aug 13, 2017
RSA
Anything can be done,but the amount of work, expertise and money needed is always the deciding factor.