SRAD disc buttons worn?

Jez

Jan 17, 2017
Hi,
I am about to get my first ever GSXR (a 2000 SRAD 750) and I have been told ahead of viewing that the disc buttons are worn on the fronts. I am told that this passed it's MOT and does not affect braking but does make a slightly disconcerting noise. Are the buttons replaceable/serviceable or is it time for horrendously expensive new discs?

Underdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oct 24, 2016
Personally I'd replace the discs altogether. Don't forget, new discs means new pads too. The buttons gave up the ghost on my old 1100m and during an enthusiastic ride I managed to snap half a brake pad!! I had a small moment at that point! When I swapped to the discs and pads everyone told me to bed the brakes in gently for 150 miles as I'd have very little braking effect. I took the bike out and gently tried the brakes they felt okish, then within 200yrds I had a car pull out of a junction in a "Sorry mate I didn't see you/you came out of nowhere" moment. A fist full of freshly replaced front discs and pads put my back wheel 3' in the air!!!

Jez

Jan 17, 2017
Wow. Glad your rear wheel re-associated itself with the ground. Guess the pads worked well from the off. Not always the case though.

I had a look at the buttons on my fronts and thought I would turn them 90 degrees to see if that would help take up some slack. They turned easily and the discs float ok and it made no difference to any slack so I think the discs are foobarred after all. Do you think there is any point shelling out extra on EPFA track day pads (this is what the bike will be used for after all) or is fade not an issue?

Also what about wavey discs? Are they worth it? Do they wear pads more?

Underdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oct 24, 2016
I've used Double H Sintered pads, top tip: wear a neck brace! They WILL stop you very rapidly! I found them overkill on the road but awesome on track days. As for wavy discs, I'm not a fan of how they look, but I can't see them wearing the pads significantly more than OE ones. If you like the look of them go for it

Jez

Jan 17, 2017
Nah! I'm not a fan of wavies either. They look ok to me but I prefer function over form therefore I think I will stick to the original setup. More disc means more pad grip and more cooling. That's why they are fitted as standard I guess. Wavies are pricey too. May go with track pads if they're not too expensive.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, Underdog. Shame there aren't more people on here doing the same.