Newby from South Shields

Gareth 1979

Feb 5, 2014
South Shields
Hi all.

I've got a yellow and black k1 GSXR600, I've had it coming up 8 years now and still love it.

I bought the GSXR after seeing a k1 that a mate bought new, I just couldn't afford one at the time, 5 years down the line, in 2006, I spotted one in a local bike shop and fell in love again, half an hour later it was mine (1st biking ambition fulfilled). I'd only gone into the shop to waste an hour while the girlfriend (now wife) was getting her hair done!

I used it as a daily commuter for 4 years, noticing and having to repair more and more faults created by the previous owner. Then in February 2012, while moving house the bike was dropped by a removal man who was adjusting it's position on the van, killing one side fairing, the seat unit and one side of the nose cone, needless to say I was gutted.

My ever resourceful wife, noticing my pain, then offered to fulfill my second biking ambition and we bought a 2010 BMW R1200 GS Adventure (probably not too popular here I know).

So, having replaced the plastics of the k1, and found a few more issues buried in the bike, I've decided to rebuild the k1 with some slight modifications, let me know what you think:

K4 or later front end.
K4 or later rear subframe and seat unit
Swing arm change, not sure what for yet
More modern rear shock
Colour change, I really like the look of the moto gp test bikes (black/ carbon with their graphics, not sure yet though)

The plan is to keep the basic silhouette of the bike standard but give it a little update.

Anyway, that's me.

GixxerGod

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 18, 2012
Milton Keynes
Hi Gareth, welcome to the club.

Sorry to hear about what happened to the bike :( sounds like you have a very understanding wife!

Mods sound good, I always wanted a rizla livery, the tyco bikes look the mutts too.