harleys???

srad98

Jun 17, 2014
Oxfordshire
ok so after a long standing argument/debate with the father in law we seem to have come to a point where were just going in circles about why harleys are crap!!! he came up with some valid points as to why they werent but to be honest i stopped listening at that point!! im coviced there nothing but ditch fillers!!! any thaughts from you guys????surely im right yeah???

Fartacus

Oct 26, 2014
Bikes are all things to all men/women, its horses for courses. I think those that ride them are essential riding a statement of coolness, but then thats their opinion. Personalty I am with southpark on that one. I watched an MCN review of some cruisers that included a harley, the guy basically stated that the others (metric cruisers) were better in all aspects of use but he would choose the harley because it had harley written on the tank. Each to their own I say. I would sooner there were a thousand harleys on the road rather than one dozey car driving pleb.

teamlofty

Oct 21, 2017
South Australia
If you want to buy yourself an image the Harley is the way to go. Even Sonny Barger the worldwide head of the H As rides a Kawasaki Vulcan round his own town and claims it is a far better bike. If you are all about image and not riding a boat anchor oops I mean Harley is the way to go.

Momos8

Jun 28, 2018
Iowa
There are some other benefits besides image. Razor sharp handling may not be one but that's not really what they're made for.

appleseed001

Jul 25, 2018
i have ridden a few harleys, indians, hondas and other bikes... harleys are "kool" everything else is less kool but more... performance, ride quality, reliability, aftermarket affordability etc. but none of those other brands effect people enough to get tattoos. harley is the bike brand that seems to have captured the people, regardless of price, reliability etc. we have all dealt with those people that say there brand is the best because (insert mocking tone) "its not X brand"

move on and allow that person to be happy in their outlook, much like politics and religion most people will never be given enough facts to sway there outlook.

Momos8

Jun 28, 2018
Iowa
The biggest benefit is the dealer network. At least here in the USA there are dealerships everywhere. Take your bike on a trip and break down, it's more than likely you can find a dealership to get parts. The aftermarket is also huge. Have you ever toured on one? You can't tell me they are not comfortable. Resale value is typically high as well. That said, I do not own one and don't have an interest in owning one at least right now, it's just not the type of riding I do. I am a hd tech in a dealer and do work on them every day though. Performance is relative I guess. I get to put cams, big bores, and stroker kits in all the time and 120 lb/ft isn't too bad. I also work on many metric brands and reliability seems to correlate with the rider, not always, but often. Every engine has it's weak points. Contrary to what it may sound, I'm not a hd zealot and I know full well what they are and are not.

Momos8

Jun 28, 2018
Iowa
Not sure how old you are referring to but the new bikes are pretty much better in every way than the older that it replaced. Not saying they are great in the grand scheme of today's standards but certainly are better than the HD of yesterday.

teamlofty

Oct 21, 2017
South Australia
My take is that Harleys are becoming more Japanese with every new model they release, which means they are becoming a better bike. They are a fine bike for the parameters that they have, but unfortunately they mostly attract the meathead crowd who are trying to project an image to the world. I ride with the cruiser club here in Adelaide SA and some of the moron 1% wanna be types that show up to ride with us could not walk upstairs and whistle at the same time. In saying that there are plenty of guys in the club on Harleys that just find that is the brand that suits them. (mostly the older guys who are past all that tough guy shit)

Momos8

Jun 28, 2018
Iowa
My take is that Harleys are becoming more Japanese with every new model they release, which means they are becoming a better bike. They are a fine bike for the parameters that they have, but unfortunately they mostly attract the meathead crowd who are trying to project an image to the world. I ride with the cruiser club here in Adelaide SA and some of the moron 1% wanna be types that show up to ride with us could not walk upstairs and whistle at the same time. In saying that there are plenty of guys in the club on Harleys that just find that is the brand that suits them. (mostly the older guys who are past all that tough guy shit)

I agree with much of what you're saying. Here in the midwest US we get probably 50/50 decent cruiser folk/meatheads. There are plenty of dum bass riders for sure. Interesting though, many less intelligent riders on sport bikes too. I went to a sportbike "get together" for lack of a better word a couple of weekends ago, during a burnout contest a guy on a vmax had his bike hook up, lost control and ran over two people and damaged his bike, and pride too I'm sure. Same contest a hayabusa rider blew a tire and was struggling to figure out how he was going to get home. There are plenty of people who struggle with stairs to go around in every crowd.