Flat battery. Charging problems?

peter079

Nov 2, 2015
Is there a way to test the stator for charging?
I had a flat battery while on a ride, but after charging it, seems ok.
At idle I get 13.5 volts at the battery and 14.4 with revs.

Also, could the reg/rect be failing when hot, intermittently?

jd50i

Nov 13, 2015
Knoxville, Tn.
Yes, you should be able to check the wires going into the R/R.
I would have your battery load tested if it was dead, it might show 12 volts but no amps. A DIY test would be to charge the battery, connect a meter to it and it should show around 12V, crank the bike and watch the meter, with the starter turning the bike over, the voltage shouldn't drop below around 9.5V, if it does, the battery is bad. 13.5-14.4 doesn't seem bad.

Yes it can, you can connect a meter to the battery and monitor the voltage while you use a heat gun on the R/R just don't overheat it. A can of spray duster turned upside down can be used to cool components if checking for a cold failure.

sleasyrider

Jan 7, 2016
miclands uk
Bike batteries dont last that long your battery may be on its way out , if it is an old battery it will be worth replacing anyway, also check all your electrical connections are sound, clean and not corroded, it sounds like your charging system is ok though

gixxerbear

Feb 26, 2016
+1 for the battery on its way out. I had an intermittent problem with mine and it turned out to be the connectors on the R/R were corroded. If the R/R is knackered it will probably have fried the battery anyway