190/50 or 190/55

Tarmac

Jan 31, 2014
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Hi All,

Okay I know this is the original can of worms, and very much subject to personal taste but here goes....

I have a GSXR100L3, original Bridgestone S20's fitted from new are DEAD at a pitiful 2300 miles, only been used over the winter for commuting and the rear has definitely been passed its best for some time so replacements are about to be purchased. I had the S20 on my previous GSXR750K8, and got on with them quite well but have never really felt comfortable with them on the thou', the 190/50 has been standard on the thou' for years so the question is:

Anyone have experience running a 190/55 rear ?

If so has it affected the handling to any noticeable negative degree, I have been informed that it will probably quicken the steering, not a bad thing in my opinion.

FYI the bike is used daily to and from work, fast roadwork at the weekends and will see some track days this year, the next set of tyres is decided with regard to manufacture so really only after opinions about the difference in the rear profile.

many thanks in advance

Tarmac

jonty

Nov 24, 2013
Wigan
I use a 55 profile on the rear of my k8 thou im currently using Michelin pilot 3 fucking ace tyre imho

Tarmac

Jan 31, 2014
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Cheers Jonty,

Notice any changes in handling ?

I happened to be talking with a chap at my local, turns out he ran 55 on his K7, said it felt more stable when cranked over, would you agree ?

Tarmac

Jan 31, 2014
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Ok an update,

New boots are on, a pair of Michelin power 2CT's. But a 55 profile rear. this tyre has been around for a while now had a set on the K8 750 and on the previous Trumpet 955I. Tyres change at 3087 miles, and definitely past their sell by date...

65 miles into new boots and

Definitely better, better feel from the front end and perceptibly quicker transition from vertical onto full lean, feels generally more stable
Throughout corners, okay could just be the tyres, switching from Bridgestone to Michelin, but, IMHO the 55 profile rear is an
Improvement.

Could have done without being told by the tyre fitter that the pads are knackered as well....

only 3k on the front pads from new !! guess I am hard on the front end....

With the weather improving if your due for new boots, perhaps think about changing the profile on the rear.

~S~

Tarmc

Last edited:

caseybramley

Feb 22, 2017
linlithgow, scotland
i had a 190 50 on my k6 thou when i got it switched to a 190 55 bike definitely turned it quicker but felt more twitchy at the back. i run 36/36 on the road and that was michelin pilot powers.

Just fitted a set of metz m7rr's but can't comment on them yet as this shit weather hasn't let me exploit them yet. oh and the rear is a 190 50.

Tarmac

Jan 31, 2014
Hemel Hempstead, UK
hi Casey,

Hope you enjoy the M7RR's, I ran a pair of those last year after I killed off the Michelin 2CT's. think I got about k4 out of them, they weren't completely worn out when I swapped then for a pair of Metz Racetec RR's K3, but the handling had definitely dropped off. I have stayed with the 55 profile rears, just seems to feel better for me, generally run 33r/36r on the road, just changed the Racetec's not too surprisingly the have only done 2.8k, front was eating into the wear indicator and the rear was just off. the Racetec's also need much lower pressure to feel good, 31f 30r hot !!
new boots are a new Michelin for this year, Power RS, a dual compound like the old 2CT's but am trying a 200/55 rear this time round, got a couple of track days booked and at the recommended 31f/28r cold pressures I'm hoping for a nice improvement in the size of the contact patch when cranked over....

~S~
Tarmac