Swap my Mille for a K5??

srad98

Jun 17, 2014
Oxfordshire
Hi everyone, so I have been away from GSXR's for a while, but always lurking in the background!!

Anywho, I recently aqquired an 2003 RSV Mille, and I am quite enjoying the V-Twin power, however as per bloody usual a bike I have wanted for some time, in this case a K5 1000,has been offered to me in a swap from a friend for the Mille, and now I am torn and would like some advice,

The Mille, (general overview)

15,400 miles,
FSH,
Good clean bike LOADS of extras and tuning mods, and all the usual Aprilia problems sorted/Rectified.
Pipewerx can, modded race air intakes, collector box mod,gabro v5 chip, titanium headers,ecu flash,power commander ect.

The K5,
33.400 miles
FSH,
All re-calls have been done,(paperwork to prove),
Again, good clean bike with just a few nice touches, like a tri-oval can, levers etc.

The mileage is obviously quite a bit more, yet FSH is enough to make me not worry about it.
Ive literally had the Mille just over a month and she is one hell of a bike, buuuut....K5
I wonder if anyone can give me some insight as to why i should or shouldn't go ahead and swap??

R41nD0g

Aug 1, 2016
North Bucks
I would want a lot more info on the K5 before parting with a bike I was happy with...

FSH is easily faked - it's just a stamp - How much paperwork is there supporting servicing and any additional work?. The valve clearance will need doing in about 3000 miles - expensive in labour from a stealer, especially if they need adjusting, but fairly easy to do yourself if handy with a wrench.

How many owners? How often did they change the oil? When was the suspension last serviced - ever? Head bearings notchy? When I'm buying a bike/car I'm checking out the owner as much as the bike itself - are they mechanically savvy/sympathetic? A high mileage bike is not a problem if it's been well looked after - your friend might be sound but what about previous owners?

Also take into account the cost of any mods you might want to make - the rebound on the K5/6 forks is almost non existent - a re-valve and linear spring for your weight will be a huge improvement - as will upgrading the brakes (Brembo MC/braided lines/R1/6 Calipers is a well worn, not too costly route to improvement.) Replace the cheapo Suzuki bolts with decent SS (or Titanium if you're feeling flush.)

If you've got the cash to sort it out after doing the swap, and it all checks out then I'd consider it - if not - then better the devil you know....