motor warm up?

teamlofty

Oct 21, 2017
South Australia
Hey Bobby, all those views and no answers. I have a 2016 with very low kilometres. I like to start it and leave it running for about 15-30 seconds to get some oil flow through the galleries, then ride the first kilometre or so gently. A bloke at my work has had fairly high kilometre gixers and he starts up hops on and gives it too it. When they are old cheapies I suppose it doesn't matter.

Trav

May 13, 2018
Sweden
Hey Bobby. For me it is something I always do. I've had my k5 gixer 750 since new and I always let it get up to around 70C (water temp) before I really load the engine or take it up over half way on the tacho. The bike is 13 years old now and still runs like a dream and it gets ridden fairly hard. Its hard to really quantify how much effect it has had on the engine but for the sake of 5 minutes when the bike is cold, its not really much of a hassle.

GreyRacer

May 31, 2018
Lane County, OR
Hey Bobby. For me it is something I always do. I've had my k5 gixer 750 since new and I always let it get up to around 70C (water temp) before I really load the engine or take it up over half way on the tacho. The bike is 13 years old now and still runs like a dream and it gets ridden fairly hard. Its hard to really quantify how much effect it has had on the engine but for the sake of 5 minutes when the bike is cold, its not really much of a hassle.

Yep, this is how I like to do it too.

AG1000LSR

Jun 4, 2018
Think of it this way chaps, would you do a 100 yard sprint 2 seconds after waking up in the morning? :confused:
Guess not...neither does your engine or tyres or brakes.

elwon20

Jun 18, 2018
As far as engines are concerned 30 seconds warm up before driving/riding is plenty. After that take it easy (no thrashing) until the engine is fully warmed up.

The reason being that when cold, modern engines automatically run rich, this added fuel washes away/dilutes the oil in the cylinders causing more wear. An idling engine will take much much longer to warm up than an engine under load, and so will be running rich for longer thus having the oil washed away and ultimately causing more wear than just getting on and riding it gently straight away would cause.