Is a GSXR 600 too much for a beginning bike?

mirickkonson

May 20, 2019
Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker of this sub and reddit in general and decided to make my own account today as I had a question.

I've been looking at getting a motorcycle recently and would prefer to buy used. The problem is all the bikes I like never stay available very long. All 250-300s stay available for about 2 days max on craigslist. 390 dukes and RC390s are just plain not there for craiglist and are sold out at dealers till feb of next year. So basically I'm in the position that what ever bike that comes up that I like the look of and would be a decent starter bike and is a decent price, I'll have to jump on. So I was wondering if the GSXR 600 would be too much power to add it to the list of my potential bikes if I was cautious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxymus117

Mar 6, 2019
Hi Mate. I started 2017 with a Gsxr 600 K6 with 24 years. I can absolutely suggest doing this. No problems only fun. Do it.

GixxerGod

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 18, 2012
Milton Keynes
Agreed, the L0+ models have a power mode selector, A,B,C so you can limit the throttle response, that way if you do accidentally grab a handful, it wont have you off.

SteveS

Nov 13, 2019
I bought an L0 750 for my first bike, 2000 miles in and I’m still alive and the bike is in one piece still!

I rode it home in B mode which calms the throttle down but I just leave it in A mode now. If you’re below 8000rpm it’s not too punchy.

Oscar280

Sep 5, 2016
The bike won't be an issue at all, it'll be your ego that will allow you to get hurt. Provided you do not lose sight of the fact you are new to this and accept it will take years to become good, you'll be fine. If you find yourself trying to keep up with other sports bikes that are getting a wriggle on...well, that's where it will go wrong.

Take your your time, don't ride with faster friends, especially if they fancy themselves and enjoy getting better gradually and safely. The more miles you do the quicker that will come if that wasn't obvious.

It's just my opinion but I've been around this long enough to base my advice on experience. I've seen new riders with no ego have no issues at all and others who are in a hurry to be the next Marquez. It normally doesn't work out too well for the latter...

Police forces normally run rider improvement courses very cheaply and a race school using their bikes and kit are also far more useful than you might imagine for road riders. Either with help massively.

Good luck and stay safe.