all forked up

gixxy

Jun 9, 2015
my 06 1000 had developed a minor oil residue ring on the tubes at about 25000 miles. i was able to remedy it with at first seal mate which i upgraded to seal doctor .now at over 31000 miles the problem returns. if i clean the seals now i can achieve what seams to be a successful reseat of the seal, but after a ride long enough to heat up the fork oil, i get the residue again. it wont leak overnight, only after the oil gets warm enough. i have the dlc coating as did various other years which seams to create an optical illusion at times. im the original owner and never wheelied the bike. wondering what other owners have experienced with stock forks,

GixxerGod

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 18, 2012
Milton Keynes
my 06 1000 had developed a minor oil residue ring on the tubes at about 25000 miles. i was able to remedy it with at first seal mate which i upgraded to seal doctor .now at over 31000 miles the problem returns. if i clean the seals now i can achieve what seams to be a successful reseat of the seal, but after a ride long enough to heat up the fork oil, i get the residue again. it wont leak overnight, only after the oil gets warm enough. i have the dlc coating as did various other years which seams to create an optical illusion at times. im the original owner and never wheelied the bike. wondering what other owners have experienced with stock forks,
Is it on both or just one?

gixxy

Jun 9, 2015
initially it was the right side but the other side followed not much later, and it seems to alternate currently. i live atop a very steep hill; and while descending it i hit the front brakes repeatedly to pump the forks, and i find no residue . but when i do some higher speeds on the highway sometimes will leave residue, but not always. also the time of year is a factor ; it being more so in the hot weather than colder temps. possibly its the oil viscosity more so than the actual seals its the original 06 factory oil. i carry some clean microfibers with me and wipe off any time i see any residue for now.