Removing top yoke/triple clamp

Dennymc123

Aug 18, 2019
Hertfordshire
Back again...

My top yoke/triple clamp is looking sh*try atm, the paint is scratched and faded so I want to re spray it satin black.

Do I have to have a front head stand to take the weight off of the forks or can this be done on the side or rear stand, if I remove it will the forks open up and make it impossible to put back on?

I won't completely remove the ignition, I will remove the clamp enough to lift it off and then mask and cover everything else before spraying.

I will be picking up a head stand soon but not right now so can always put this off until I have one if theres no way of doing it without one.

Underdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oct 24, 2016
If you are just painting the top yoke, then yeah you can put it on the side stand, loosen the bolts and slide it up and off, spray it then slide it back on. The forks won't spread, the bottom yoke will hold them. As a tip, use hammerite smooth black spray paint. Once dried it's hard wearing, and not exactly gloss but closer to satin

Dennymc123

Aug 18, 2019
Hertfordshire
If you are just painting the top yoke, then yeah you can put it on the side stand, loosen the bolts and slide it up and off, spray it then slide it back on. The forks won't spread, the bottom yoke will hold them. As a tip, use hammerite smooth black spray paint. Once dried it's hard wearing, and not exactly gloss but closer to satin

Thanks brother, I think you've answered every question that has been answered for me, you're a legend.

I did look at hammerite but a few reviews pointed me towards rustoleum so that what I bought, hopefully the end result is ok but I dont think it will look any worse lol.

Ride safe m8!