Decat pipes L 750

Spen

Feb 8, 2017
Hi All, has anyone replaced the down pipes and cat on an L 750 and if so what make and how has it affected the sound and did you remap / fit a power commander.

I'm mainly interested in how it has affected the noise of the bike

Underdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oct 24, 2016
Mines a K6 and I've decatted it, the noise gain was kinda lost due to the fact I fitted a Delkavic stubby. It feels like it revs more freely and I'm sure with a PC you'll gain a few spare ponies

Spen

Feb 8, 2017
Cheers underdog.

I want it noisy but I want to be able to live with it on long journeys too. My bike is pretty noisy now but mainly engine / airbox.

I'm after a sweeter exhaust note really.

I love the look of the Yoshi R11 can but it doesn't hit the spot musically.

Did you have to tweek the ecu to get the bike to run correctly with the new pipe ?

Underdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oct 24, 2016
Nope, just bolted it on and it ran sweet! I have a baffle that I can fit if I ever need to but I've not used it yet

Dean12

Feb 19, 2017
Cambs
Black widow at Bedford do a stainless header set with decat. They claim +6hp ish. Most of the sound will depend on tailpipe.

wsmc549

Mar 10, 2017
So Cal
I just bought a decat pipe for my L6. I have not put it on yet as I am waiting on a friend to get me a prototype can for the thing.
Once I get it all installed I will unplug the wire at the ECU and get the ECU flashed by Dano's "www.danosperformance.com/" for $85.
I do have a PCV as I plan to get a QS and maybe TC in the future but the flash should eliminate the expected backfires and open up the secondary's. That and a ton of other things.

aleyz90

Apr 15, 2018
I've just installed Black Widow decat pipe + SC Project GP exhaust on my 750 L1.
To avoid FI you should remove the exhaust servo motor, installing a servo eliminator kit (around 45 euros here in italy).
Black Widow together with the pipes provides a small bracket to be assembled on the exhaust servo motor, in order to allow its normal operation without removing it, avoiding FI. It should work as well but I've not tried it, you just need to remove the two cables which actuate the exhaust valve.
Anyway, de-cat pipes should be used with a race filter and consequently it would be better to remap ECU to have a richer mixture in high rpms.

mlyon89

Aug 6, 2018
Aberdeenshire
The Ecu's on these bikes are fairly self learning. They seem to be good in comparison to some other brands. If you have a lambda sensor that is still in the exhaust and working correctly it will send the relevant signal to the ECU to let it know if too rich or too lean. And alter the fueling to suit. But yes as Aleyz90 says a remap and proper dyno runs is what is required to ensure 100% correct fueling. For road use it shouldn't be a problem. But if your on track and well up in the high rev range for long periods some would say its a must to get the bike setup correctly to suit the headers and decat.