Speedo sensor

Hooligan

Jun 6, 2019
After several years off the road, Gretchen got her MOT the other day. In celebration, the speedo sensor died. Dealers want £80 for one and ebay £40. However, I've seen a Bandit item for much less. The pics seem to show an identical item. Can any technical Mandarin tell me if it is indeed the same item? Thanks in advance...

Hooligan

Jun 6, 2019
After the overwhelming response, I took a punt. If anyone else finds themselves in the same position, my findings are thus. A K1-K4 Bandit speedo sensor has exactly the same plugs/mounts and wiring (gauge and colouring) as the speedo sensor on a K5 GSX-R. It works to send relevant data to the clocks. However, I can't, as yet speak to it's accuracy. I've followed my good lady in the car and at 30, 40 and 50 seems- accuracy questionable as plenty of room for error user- that the speedo is showing 10% faster than actual. I don't know if there is an on-board calibration function, as Occam's razor and the economy of scale would suggest a pointless expense having more than one sensor across the bike range to do the same job. But what do I know? Anyhoo, didn't give Suzuki the £80 they ask for a new replacement (thieves) or £40 for an eBay 2nd hand item. (sportsbike tax). Except when monitored or in town, I ride to road conditions not the clocks so if, after some more calibration rides, I have to learn my speedo readings, I'm happy with the outcome.

Last edited: