Running Issues, pls help

Big Al

Sep 28, 2015
Kent
Big hello to all, hoping for some help to get my 98 750 SRAD to run properly.
I Just got the bike cheap with the owner saying a mechanic had said the alternator was in need of replacing. Plus i noticed it was only running on 2 cylinders.
After reading a little about common faults with the alternator and the regulator i thought i would get some second hand relacements, and to cover myself i thought i would get another CDI knowing i could sell it again if it was not needed..
Started changing the alternator when we spotted some wires leading from the alternator to the CDI had been tampered with and fried along with part of the connector plug. In the end we chopped the connector off the Alternator and joined with spades onto the CDI plug. Fitted the other CDI, regulator and new sparks plugs... hit the start button and she fired up on all four cylinders :D.
feeling very happy i took her out, but she does not like to idle, i up the idle screw to run about 1200 then took it out again and once she hot idles at 2000.. reduce the screw down to 1200 pull up at the lights and it dies, starts up easy enough again, did a little more reading and learned about the dealer mode and TPS.. looks just what i need i thought, found the dealer mode plug and put a wire in to cross the connection but nothing came up on the display :( How can i adjust the TPS without the line to show im in the middle ? Do i need a new TPS sensor ? Please help as im desperate to get some ridng in before the weather turns bad..
I would appreciate any advice..
many thanks
Big Al

Big Al

Sep 28, 2015
Kent
just to add to the above, my 750 srad is only doing around 20 mpg !! Really cant see how it can be so poor on fuel, cant see any leaks ? can some one pls help, i was hoping i would get a responce..

johnny

Aug 10, 2014
newcastle upon tyne
Try downloading a workshop manual off this site and look through the troubleshooting section for the symptoms you are describing, there may be something in there. If you are getting a good spark to all four cylinders then it is obviously air or fuel related which will likely be something wrong on the carbs, the workshop manual should help you to set them up if you have the equipment, should also tell you how to adjust the TPS, or take it to a shop and ask for a carb overhaul and setup, have the carbs ever been stripped/cleaned? May well be money well spent.

DevonDel

Mar 3, 2016
If the bike is running smooth and pulls cleanly it is not going to be the TPS, a faulty TPS would have the effect of the bike stumbling at being lumpy.
I assume you have checked the simple things like the air filter being clean and fresh fuel? You could get some injector cleaner and run it through the fuel system, if the bike has sat there could be crap in it.