Mikuni flatsides

Davie W

Oct 4, 2020
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience of working on Mikuni flatside carbs?
I have a 1980 GSX750 E project bike which I’ve customised to look like a Wes Cooley rep.
I’m not good with carbs and electrics so gave the bike to a local “expert” to finish off and get ready for the road.
He couldn’t get the bike to run on the standard carbs as I’ve done away with the air box. He fitted a set of Mikuni flatsides which I think are from a 1986 GSXR750 F. They are identified by 27A 10 stamped on the side, they look like 29mm. He told me he had balanced the carbs and the bike was running fine apart from running on a bit when the throttle is closed. When the throttle was blipped it was not quite returning to tick over.
Turns out I had to replace the float bowl jets and one of the floats as fuel was pissing out of the over flows.
Carbs refitted and things are worse!!
Even with the throttle cables removed and the idle screw backed off the bike runs about 2000rpm and races away if the throttle cam is blipped by hand.
With the engine off or the carbs on the bench the throttle bar cam can be flicked and all is free and slamming shut easily.
I don’t want to go back to the expert for obvious reasons.
Can anyone help?
Davie W.