GSXR 1000 bogging

LEarnest

Apr 28, 2020
Hi, i have a 2003 gsxr 1000 and it's bogging after 6k or so rpm. it will like barely rev to redline, and has like half the power it should have. it's intermittent, will usually ride fine for 15 minutes or so, then the bogging happens and the fi light comes on. i got 2 different codes from it, 1 was for the ignition, i took it apart and cleaned it and it hasn't done it since, and the other was for the exhaust servo but that seems to work fine. it always starts fine and revs normally when not in gear, and is fine otherwise. the fuel pump does usually prime twice though, and sometimes primes only once but for too long. i just put a new fuel pump in at the advice of the mechanic i usually go to but he can't look at it for at least another 2 weeks. when i did that it ran perfect for a 20 minute ride then the problem came back. i just ordered a new fuel pressure regulator, hope that's it. sorry for the long read. thanks for the help.

LEarnest

Apr 28, 2020
so i just did the fuel pump volume test and it was at 1.4l when it should be 1.2l. is this in spec? the manual says there should be a little variation but that seems like a lot to me. also if the pressure regulator was bad would this be a symptom?

LEarnest

Apr 28, 2020
ok so i just found out that there's no feedback from the fuel pump/rail to the ecu or anything so if it's priming 2 times something electrical's making it do that. i'm thinking a bad connection somewhere, bad ecu, or a bad sensor. anyone have any ideas where to start? what sensor would cause the fuel pump to cut out, what sensors does the ecm check a reading from when it goes to prime the pump?

Last edited:

Peter Czibolya

Apr 19, 2020
Can you measure fuel pressure?
Because the voulme can be OK, but the pressure can be not enough.

Also once i had switched the STVA cables by mistake,
and when i try to accelerate harder the bike was bogging,
i switched the cables back and everything was good.

LEarnest

Apr 28, 2020
i was thinking the pump, etc as well but it's priming twice, that's got to be something electrical right?

Peter Czibolya

Apr 19, 2020
Do you turn on the ignition and it pumps, then stop pumping, and pumps again again?

Maybe the pressure regulator in the pump.
But there may be a hole fuel line, or one of the injectors stuck open.

You may want to remove the air filter housing and check the injectors when you turn on the ignition.

If none of them are left open then start and see if they spray nicely. (If you are already there)

LEarnest

Apr 28, 2020
yeah, the pump primes, then stops, then primes again. how would any of that stuff make the pump prime twice? there's nothing in the system that tells anything if there's pressure or not. sorry don't mean to be rude

Last edited:

Peter Czibolya

Apr 19, 2020
Sorry my bad.
I confused with something else.

Try to check the pumps "Power source lead wire" (Yellow with red tracer) from the ECM.
Or try to check all wires to the pump relay.
Maybe there some oxidation somewhere, once I had an oxidized fuse caused something like this.