GSX-R 1000 2012 theft attempt - what were they doing!!!

mitchok1

Apr 15, 2019
South Wales, UK
Hi all.

I'm new here and doing something I hate. Posting a request before trying to answer someone elses' query.

Unfortunately, as the proud owner of an SV1000, I am unable to help on the GSX-R in anything other than general terms.

Anyway, my question :

My brother has recently bought a his dream GSX-R1000 on a 2012 plate. Having made the mistake of not fitting it with ground anchor, a chastity belt and chaining it to a tree behind a multipoint locked door, it was inevitably attacked by thieving scrotes. The bike was recovered almost undamaged but the cables from the ignition have been exposed and burnt (assumedly to hot wire it). In addition, the seat was removed and there appears to be some interfering gone on with the wiring in this area.

does anyone have any idea what they may have been doing under there? I'm assuming its to do with the immobiliser but have been unable to get hold of any wiring information for the bike (K models seem to be covered but L models less so).

From reading other posts, it seems the immobiliser on early models just disabled the fuel pump. Is this still the case or does the bike need to read the key to enable the ECU as I assume it does on a car?

From the older (non icoded) K series wiring diagrams it looks as though shorting all of the cables on the ignition block will allow the bike to start, something I guess isn't the case with the L2 model.

Thanks and I hope someone can help :)

Cheers
Darren