Coolant issues

Shaun86

Oct 20, 2019
morning, just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem, I have a 600 k3, just had another engine dropped into my bike as well as a new thermostat and aftermarket rad. went out for the first time since everything has been done. after a 30 mile run in free flowing traffic the temp was around 70 degrees, ended up in a city with slow traffic, roundabouts and traffic lights. temp went up to 108 and coolant started leaking from the expansion bottle overfill tube, after pulling over I topped up the bottle to the max mark and just went home. everything seemed fine. until I left the bike on my drive till the fan kicked in and off at that point the expansion bottle was boiling and was leaking out of the tube, when the bike was all cooled down the expansion bottle was empty. I spoke to my local Suzuki dealer and they said the expansion bottle should be between the min and max lines when cold. would appreciate if anyone has any thoughts onto why this is happening..

Oscar280

Sep 5, 2016
What was the air temperature where you were riding? Roughly.

There are a few things this could be, ambient temperature would be useful as 108 in 40 degree city heat would not be a surprise. If it reaching that temp at current UK temperatures you have at least one issue with the system.

Regardless, a pressurised system shouldn't boil at 108 and it if it is it would suggest to me that the system is losing pressure and allowing it to boil - possibly a leaking rad cap.

Reactions: GixxerGod